Sometimes it can be hard to hear from God, especially when we try to live faithfully on our own. My hope is that these words may be an encouragement. Know that as you travel along your own path, you are in good company.

"And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had." -Acts 2:44


Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Love Languages

You may have heard of a book called The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. The author describes five different ways that people communicate love: acts of service, quality time, words of affirmation, physical touch, and gifts. His idea is that people often show and receive love in different ways, which may cause difficulties in communicating.

God tells us to love one another, but I often find myself frustrated when I don't know how. I know I have to trust him that he will show me, and I think one way that he does is through teaching me new ways to think about loving others, like with the ideas from this author. Although not exclusive, I've still found his thoughts very helpful.

Although I think we may need all of them at different times, it is interesting to learn more about how to communicate love with those around us. I have tried to figure out the stronger love languages of my friends and family just to remind myself that they may need love in a way that does not come as natural to me.

I think it's important to ask people how they feel most loved as well. Something like quality time may look like a good conversation to one person while it may look like two people simply enjoying one another's presence in silence to another.


No comments:

Post a Comment